Monday, December 13, 2010

I Want a Hippopotamus for...

You know the end to that phrase.

And in case you don't, here's my favorite video of the song.

While we weren't singing that song on our safari (something about 90 degree weather while floating down the Nile seems to preclude Christmas songs), I definitely was excited to see hippopotami. And I knew we were destined for hippo-sighting heaven when there was a hippo popping up and down by the ferry landing, just watching the goings-on there.

I needn't have been worried. Murchison Falls National Park apparently has the densest population of hippos in Uganda. A friend with super-awesome research skills told me that.

Hippos are such unique animals. They're huge, yet when they're mostly covered by water, with just their eyes, noses, and ears sticking up, they look rather like timid mice. They're only found in Africa, yet they've made it into Western popular culture through phrases such as 'you're as big as a hippo!' or songs such as "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." Hippos have even been used as a selling point for high speed internet!

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of hippos until this trip.

But now, I think they're rather cute. Despite that hippo that came within yards of tipping our boat because he thought we'd passed already...haha, was he ever surprised to come up and see humans staring him point-blank in the eye!

And in case you are still on the fence about hippos, I present my final piece of evidence. Examine this picture closely and just in front of the big hippo-mom, you'll see a baby hippo.

Le swoon.

Dear Santa: Owning a hippo might be a bit much, but someday, can I go back and see more?

2 comments:

Brittany said...

ok, love love LOVE it! (especially the baby. and the likeness to timid mice.)

Amy said...

Awesome! I want to go back with you and meet the families you met and see the wildlife you saw. Pictures are really incredible!