Wednesday, December 1, 2010

“More or Less Complicated?”

(from Nov. 25)
Tonight, we tried to explain my job (not to mention my organization!) to an African.

"Well…I work in an office."

"Oh? What do you do?"

"Um…my company…it goes to many events. And we sell things. So I make sure we are registered and that we have people to go…and sell things."

"Oh, ok. [pause] What kind of things do you sell?"

{long pause} "Well...we sell memberships. [pause] We are…we are…an association! We advocate…we talk to the government to tell them what to do…um, ask them to do what we want. So people buy memberships to support us."

 "Hm. [pause] Ok. So…how do you get paid?"

"Um…well, people pay money to be a member. And then their money becomes my money."

{much laughter among the three of us}

"Ok, so why do people want to be members of your association?"

"Well, we encourage homeschooling. Where people teach their children at home. So we have attorneys…lawyers…that people can talk to if they need advice about homeschooling. And then we also talk to the government about what to do…what laws to make…and people support that."

"Hm. [very long pause]"

"It is complicated enough for you?"

Laughter. "I am processing."

Jennifer jumps in: "So homeschooling is legal. But sometimes people forget that it is legal. So her company reminds people that it is legal; they tell the government 'this is the law and you must follow it.'"

Nathan adds: "Sometimes the government breaks it's own laws."

"Ah, I see."

Jennifer: "More or less complicated now?"

[Grin] "Less."

So, dear co-workers, perhaps our next sales training should involve a trip to Uganda…talk about boiling to bare essentials.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha! that's priceless. This should go on the hslda website. ;-)

AvocadoDiva said...

I'm game...whose organizing the trip!!! :-)

The Raven's Landing said...

That's hilarious. I love that we have to remind the government what the law is.... :-P

Amy said...

Love it! Wish I could have been "a fly on the wall" observing.