Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Birthday in Uganda



So here's the deal. And I'll just say it. I turned 25 in Uganda. Twenty-five. As in a two and a five. As in, one quarter of a century. As in, shockingly old. As in, my life is so far gone its practically time to retire. As in, I'm being hugely dramatic.

But its true.

I turned 25 in Uganda.

And contrary to my fears of the past several years, I was NOT shockingly depressed on my twenty-fifth birthday. But, then again, how could I be depressed when I was and living my dreams and touring the world and I. WAS. IN. UGANDA!!! (And, mind you, on my way to London.)

And, oh yeah, twenty-five is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful number. =D


So on my twenty-fifth birthday, we took a hike. Chrissy took pictures of herself. And then she took pictures of me.

And what, pray tell, am I doing in this picture? I am in the middle of the African wilderness talking on the phone with my cousin in Wisconsin. Random, no? (Oh, and thats Bambino looking at me like I'm a goofball. Because I am.)

But first, we were in the African jungle. And we got bitten by ants. Ant bites hurt. A lot.


And I was kind of worried. So instead of worrying, I took pictures of my worried face. Because I'm cool like that.



Somehow, though, we survived the ant attack. And, overall, were none the worse for the wear. (Those bites weren't as bad as other African ailments, the details of which I will spare you from.)
Oh! But then came fun times...the Making of The Cake.


Chrissy helped. Or, rather, she FORCED me to LET her help. Something about "only helpers get to lick their icing spoon" or something like that.




But apparently I don't know how to use icing. Or, rather, I don't know the "proper" way of applying funfetti icing. It required me to read the packaging.

I'm lame.



A couple hours later it was time to EAT the cake. Malachi, Andrea, and Chrissy lit candles. They didn't have quite enough for me (I'm old, remember?) so they wrote my age using the candles.





You may not be able ot tell...but it really does say "25" in flames.



And then I laughed because Syd said something goofy. As usual.



And I blew out my candles and that was my birthday. It was over.

The best birthday ever.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

happy birthday!
and i LOVE the last pic of you :)
it makes me happy.
25 is a great number. 26? a little less ;)
thanks for posting these!

Cat said...

Happy "quarter of a century" Birthday! Love your truly big old smile :) Can't wait to view the rest of your posts...you are having quite the adventure :)