Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pieces of Safari

As if finally meeting Malachi wasn't enough, my trip to Uganda was full of exciting adventures...including...my favorite...SEEING AN ELEPHANT!

I keep talking about this. On my blog, to my friends, to the stranger on the plane. Everyone. They all have to know. I. Saw. An. Elephant.

As you can tell, it was monumental.



(Check out that grin! Can you see the elephants in the background?)
But thats not all we saw on safari. We saw my other favorite animal: the giraffe.

And apparently Malachi loved the giraffe, too. He was happiest when watching for giraffe...and liked to talk to them, too. (Aside: why does giraffe look so much like a gaffe? the word, I mean. the WORDS look alike. Don't they?)

And we saw more elephant...and he was less-than-enthusiastic about seeing us. I even have a picture where he was shaking his head...so much that it distorts his look and my mom and sister couldn't tell what on earth was happening. Hm. I should find that picture and share it.



We saw fighting male Jackson antelope. The female was just out of frame. They would lock horns, wrestle for a bit, take a step back, and then do it again. It was fascinating. And the posts that you see are NOT to pen them in. Its actually to keep them out. They're on the airstrip (you know...the way that rich people get into the game park to take their cushy vacations in their swanky hotel and their snobby butlers) and apparently the "fence" is fruitless.



Oh, and we saw human wildlife. Apparently even out on a lazy day of animal-watching, some people can be ridiculously hurried...almost to the point of Washington, D.C. road rage when they get blocked behind a enjoying-the-experience tourist. I dunno folks. Some people just don't know how to take a vacation.



We also saw a leopard. But I just realized I haven't seen the pictures of the leopard. I wonder why. Its not like I have a ton of pictures to sort through or anything.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow, amazing. Love the picture of the elephant with his trunk up. So wish we were younger and could take a trip like ya'll. Thanks for sharing, we are really enjoying the pictures and the stories that go along with them.