Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dear Mom. Don't Read This. Love, Chrissy and Jennifer.

I'm just wondering: is this normal? Because if not, I might have to commit my traveling companion to an insane asylum (or insanisylum, as my childhood brain always spelled it). Soon.

Applications for a trip to Uganda and London now being accepted. Must be able to travel under the alias of "Jennifer Pinkerton." Apply before reading the following stories.

True conversations.
5 days ago
Jennifer: "not something to show your mom :-P"
And then she sends this link.
My response? "holy. cow."

Today
Jennifer: "don't show this to your mom"
And again, another crazy link.

I responded with "lol."

Read that again. "lol." Really, Schneider? In the face of rioting students and smashed windows, you laugh?

Obviously, I was so scared that I thought she was joking.

Normal?
Now, I just have to wonder: is this normal? To search out scary news stories about the places you are traveling, share them with your companion, traumatize her with the possibilities of death, disease, and kidnapping, and then tell her NOT to share those with her mother, who is possibly her strongest encourager of stick-to-something-you've-paid-thousands-of-dollars-for???

Mom, Read This.
In close, for all the mothers in the audience: weren't you young and carefree and invincible once? Sure, you were wrong, but please. Let us enjoy our youth.

And remember, moms: our kids will follow our foolhardy youthful examples and travel the world someday. If we survive to have kids. And when that happens, we will wish we had listened to our mothers.

Addendum.
In further close, I'd like to point out these wonderful articles:

1 comment:

Brittany said...

hehe, love the "10 worst sites" list ...