Wednesday, November 17, 2010

the worst part of travel

I detest packing.

In theory, packing is fun. It signifies the start of your trip, the paring down to bare essentials, a mental challenge to make everything fit, to ensure you have everything.

In practice, packing is miserable. It's a constant fight against my controlling nature, my desire for comfort and fashion, my fear of the unknown. Thankfully, a practical friend was here to be my naysayer. Sometimes her skeptical look is all I need to stop my crazed thinking.

As Harry Truman once said about leaving the White House, "If I'd known how much packing I'd have to do, I'd have run again."

For me, if I'd known the logistical nightmare involved in packing for a Ugandan summer and a London winter, perhaps I would have...skipped London?

...

Naw.

So now, back to packing. Maybe a movie would help...

PS--if you google packing list, amazing and astonishing things pop up. And this is by far one of the best/funniest. Donate money to help people pack less?? Sounds more like a wallet-thinning operation than a bag-thinning one. ;)

No comments: