Monday, November 1, 2010

Girls in Asia...or not...

At 9:07am on August 31, 2009, we began an IM conversation: "Welcome to Monday," I typed. "Hello Monday," she responded.

And so began our day. A normal day, so we thought. Just a typical Monday.

Turns out, it was a very formative day in our lives. In fact, we still talk about that IM conversation...a few lines of text that we exchanged 14 months ago.

me: hey, so we could go to Thailand together next year
that'd be cool, too, huh?
Chrissy: oooh, yeah!!
we should go over labor day or columbus day
so we could make our trip longer by a day at least
me: Columbus Day 2010
Chrissy: nice
me: Girls in Asia
Chrissy: it's a plan
me: Booyah



I really don't think I usually use "Booyah" in a sentence. Somehow, that word makes me think of the Marines. Or being in the Marines. Or a Marine war whoop. (And many apologies to any Marines reading this who are now offended by a) my use of the, b) my misunderstanding of what a war whoop sounds like, or b) my use of the word "war whoop.")

But in this case, thats what I said.

And I can't rewrite history.

So I won't.

But history took a turn and instead of "Girls in Asia: Columbus Day 2010" it turned into "Girls in Africa: Columbus Day 2010". And eventually Africa plans had to be postponed, so it became "Girls in Boston: Columbus Day 2010."

But here we are, 14 months later, and closing the gap on the day when our airplane will finally leave the runway headed straight for Uganda.

Its not Columbus Day.

Its not Thailand.

But it is Jennifer and Chrissy.

And we're going to Uganda.

No comments: